People sometimes just have no clue! In an effort to be conversational or maybe even a show of support often comments are made that just don’t come out right and can offend someone. Nothing could be worse for an already hormonally challenged pregnant woman.
I came across this article on Yahoo that originally appeared on WomensDay.com which had me reflecting on not only my own pregnancies but the times I have witnessed offensive comments being made to others. We certainly cannot control what others say and of course we can find offensive comments being made at any time, to anyone, for any reason! It just seems that those un-welcomed and uncomfortable comments are more common at a time when a woman can be more emotional and insecure. Just because a woman is pregnant does not mean she is ready to listen to other women’s birth stories. Particularly if they were not a good experience! Not every woman wants people touching her belly, especially strangers. During one of my pregnancies I actually had a woman (stranger) in the grocery store ask if she could rub my belly. Uh, NO!
Thankfully I never really got any of these comments because being a sarcastic person I am I probably would have given them an equally rude comment right back. Here are some I have heard said to others though:
- “Was this a planned pregnancy?”
- “You look like your going to pop!”
- “You really waddle when you walk now!”
- “You are really swollen!”
- “Who is the dad?”
- “Wow, you’re going to have a fat baby!”
- “It’s about time! We thought you would never have children!”
……………..and the list could go on!
Here is a list of the Top 10 Things Never to Say to a Pregnant Woman as listed in the Yahoo article.
- Are you sure your not having twins?
- Your so tiny you can barely tell your pregnant! That can’t be healthy.
- Are you disappointed it’s not a girl? (or boy)
- You’re going to breastfeed, right?
- Oh, you’re wide! You’re definitely having a girl!
- I was back in my skinny jeans a week after giving birth.
- I hope the baby gets your nose!
- Did you see the show about the baby with …(insert horrible disease here)…
- That must have been a surprise!
- Aren’t you too old to have a baby?
Oh if everyone would just think before speaking! Click here to see more of this article on Yahoo.
What comments have you experience during your pregnancy or heard said to someone else that was pregnant?