My daughter has a singing competition in junior high and has been searching for an “oldies” song that is from the 1980’s and older. First of all I am depressed to hear of songs from the 80’s being considered “oldies” cause that then directly refers to me as an “oldie” too!
My husband and I sat down with her the other day and started playing video’s on YouTube of the best music from the 80’s. Be warned if you ever decide to do this you will lose hours out of your day. We could not turn it off! Each song we would say “this is a good one” or “I love this song”. We would sing along and talk about all the famous groups and singers from that time, the cool music videos, or somewhere we remember hearing a song like a dance or party. We remembered when MTV actually played music video’s all day long. As we watched we would cringed at the different clothing styles in the videos not wanting to admit that was ever in style. Even worse I was trying to forget the memories of the big hair. I swear I was brain washed into doing that and I will stick to that story. I hope I have burned all those photo’s so they cannot be used against me later!
The next day my daughter was again playing music and videos from the 80’s. She said that she loves the music from “our” time and how lucky we were to grow up with such awesome music. After spending hours listening to it the day before I have to agree. There are some great songs throughout all time but the 80’s music will never die. Maybe it is because it was during my teen and young adult years but I like to think we had some music with style!
What are your favorite songs or groups from the 80’s?
- Which Music Video Is This Beauty Moment From? (bellasugar.com)
- The Art of the Music Video: Part I, 1980s (ayeblog.wordpress.com)
- 20 Music Videos from the 1980s That Have Aged Terribly (Sound Affects) (popmatters.com)
- Take On Me: The Best of the 80′s in 2012 (innovationslab.wordpress.com)
- Big Time: Best of the 80′s in 2012 (innovationslab.wordpress.com)
- Celebration! The Best of the 1980′s in 2012 (innovationslab.wordpress.com)