- You know a commercial is played to often when you know the jingle and find yourself singing it often. That is good advertising on their part because even if you don’t need their services you still recall their product from the jingle.
- What is with the commercials that have just a weird spokes person or character that just won’t go away? I won’t name any specific commercials but we all find those that are just annoying or even a little on the weirdo freaky side. Those companies just keep making more with that strange annoying spokes person or character. I guess the same could be said for off the wall weird or inappropriate slogans.
- How about the commercials that are just so hilarious or otherwise awesome to the point that you really didn’t even pay attention to what the commercial was selling? Some go to huge lengths to make sure the commercial is so outgoing that they lose sight of making sure their product is featured. We have laughed at dozens of commercials and even talked about them later to only realize we have no idea if they were selling jeans, beer, or car tires.
- Why are some commercials aired on specific channels at all? We saw a commercial for life insurance for seniors while watching a UFC fight one night. It just seemed really weird place to advertise that. We also have seen mens products advertised on mostly women’s channels and vice versa. I’m just saying if you want the biggest bang for your buck advertise where you will have the biggest audience for your product.
- The commercials targeting children just don’t seem as subtle anymore. Some just come right out that if your parents love you they should be buying you this. Thanks for making us have to say no to yet another useless product. Let’s be honest they want it because it looks so awesome on the show but it really isn’t as fun when they get it and will only use once or twice.
- Do we really need “that much” truth in advertising? There are just some things that we can leave a little more vague instead of going into full detail please. Hemorrhoids’, E.D., and feminine odor problems may have numerous products available but when watching TV with the kids that may not be the most appropriate time to be hearing about them.
- Do we really want to see commercials anyway? No. We love to record things to watch later so we can fast forward through commercials. The only exception to that is the Super Bowl where we actually sit down to watch the commercials ON PURPOSE!
What are your feelings about commercials?
You can’t make this up! My son actually said that to me one night this week. We have a chore chart that rotates each week and some weeks are done better than others. My son is by far the best at doing his chores without being asked and he is only 9. This week his chore was dishes and he made sure they were done! I even found the dishwasher going the other morning to my surprise because I don’t remember many dishes in the sink. Of course when I opened the dishwasher there indeed were only 4 dishes in there and it was going! Too cute! I had to explain to him later that he can load the dishwasher and wait until the end of the day when it is more full to run them.
So back to the title. After doing the dishes one night he decided to clean off the kitchen counter with the cleaning spray. He then moved to the table. Then just started cleaning things around the house like the shower doors, sinks, bathroom counters, etc. That is when we said it was bedtime and he said “I’m not tired can I stay up and clean? Oh if we could only bottle that type of enthusiasm for cleaning! I am still trying to figure out if he really was having fun cleaning or if he just thought that would allow him to stay up later.
We have tried to make our children understand the importance of work as well as the need to help around the house because they live there too. This education and experience will hopefully follow them when they leave home. Their rooms are their responsibility, however most days it looks like a bomb went off. Their idea of cleaning their room is find the closest area to shove something under or into and now that it is “out of sight” it is clean. We are still working on that! We started with chores when they were younger and of course they were more basic but have progressed to larger responsibilities or ones they are required to do without help now that they are older. Our chore chart now consists of 3 different major chores that will rotate each week so they each get a chance to do something different weekly.
- Pick up all laundry around house on floors and from baskets
- Sort laundry
- Fold laundry and help put up
- Pick up dirty dishes from around the house
- Load dishwasher
- Empty dishwasher
- Clean counters and dining table
- Clean trash from floors
- Sweep and spot mop floors
- Take out the trash
- Clean bathrooms once during the week
What chores do your children do around the house?
What would get you literally jumping out of bed in the morning more than the smell of bacon? Isn’t the world just a better place when bacon is involved? Chef’s have dedicated entire cookbooks around this one ingredient! Seriously doesn’t everything taste better with bacon?
There is a whole industry that pays tribute to bacon! I got my husband a t-shirt for Christmas that says “You Had Me at Bacon”. There were a dozen other clothing items to choose from all centered around bacon. If you search Amazon you will find all types of gifts that claim to look, smelling or taste like bacon. There is the Bacon Air Freshener, Bacon and Maple Syrup Lollipop, Bacon Bandages, Bacon Flavored Toothpicks, and Bacon Lip Balm. How about carrying around your money in a Bacon Wallet? If you just can’t get enough bacon flavor why not try adding a variety of Bacon Salts or Bacon Hot Sauce? You can even give your loved one the gift of Bacon Roses for your next special occasion!
We usually have several packages of bacon in our freezer which has become a staple in our home. During Hurricane Ike our power was out and the very first morning our neighbors were out bright and early cooking bacon in their backyard. Being summertime in Houston with no power meant everyone had their windows open to get some cooler fresh air. Of course that bacon scent just wafted into our home sparking the question from everyone, “do we have any bacon”? Sadly no we did not and that quickly went on our list of supplies we will always keep on hand for any emergency! I really try to stock up when I can find a coupon or can price-match at Wal-Mart the sale price from another store.
I have several recipes that my family loves that include bacon like Baked Potato Soup, Chicken Carbonara, and a Stuffed Chicken Breast. We often do a breakfast style dinner and it always includes bacon! My biggest obstacle though is when I fix bacon for these dishes I find I need to make extra otherwise as I am cooking it starts to disappear when my back is turned and I am left with little to use for the recipe.
Do you have also have an obsession with bacon? Please share your recipe ideas too!
I often will hear a song and it becomes stuck in my head all day long. Even after trying to listen to other music I will find I still begin humming the same tune eventually sometime that day. It would be okay if it was a song I liked but often it is to the contrary. Like the time I had to catch a flight for a business trip and on the way to the airport my husband was singing a goofy variation of the alphabet song. I am sure you have guessed that yes I indeed was humming and singing that song for TWO DAYS! So my question is why does it always have to be songs that annoy me or are silly that get stuck in my head?
I also have a daughter who is extremely silly, sarcastic and loves to tease. In her defense she takes after both of her parents so this is a naturally inherited trait that she does so well! She loves to push my buttons by purposely singing a song she knows will annoy me and likely get stuck in my head.
Then there are the times I start to sing a song and wonder where in the world that came from. I haven’t heard it recently and I just realize I am singing or humming it. I actually was in Wal-Mart one day totally by myself and suddenly realized I was humming a tune from The Little Mermaid. My kids are a little older so it had been some time since we had seen that movie so that in itself was weird. Doesn’t it seem weird to you for a 30 something woman all alone to be singing “Part of Your World” from a Disney movie?
I also have the wonderful talent of hearing someone say a word and it immediately triggers a connection with a song that I start singing or hear it playing as a constant stream in my head.
How do you get a song out of your head?
There is a Dairy Queen that just opened near us. We won’t even go into how dangerous that is! A few days ago I was by myself in the car and decided to stop by to pick up a dessert for my kids. One of my daughters loves their Blizzards so as the lady was handing me all the desserts she turned the Blizzard upside down and then handed it to me. It has been awhile since we have had Dairy Queen and I had forgotten that they did that to show how thick the Blizzards are. So as she left the window to get the rest of the items I was still chuckling about turning the Blizzard upside down. So what do I do? When I think nobody is looking I took the blizzard and turned it upside down a few times and had a laugh with myself. I set it back in the cup holder, turned back to the window and noticed there was a man standing there with the rest of my order. He obviously had been there long enough to see me being silly and said “I am a professional, that is my job to do that”. Can we just say awkward! No this isn’t the first nor the last time I will do something silly when I didn’t know someone was watching.
What silly things has someone seen you do when you didn’t realize they were watching?